Re: OT: Pergo flooring

To: epetrevich@relavis.com
Subject: Re: OT: Pergo flooring
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:33:52 -0400
On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:01:57 -0400, you wrote:
>Rex,  It was my understanding that the standard units, while having a
>tongue and groove edge, did NOT provide enough of a pressure fit to prevent
>water and moisture from getting under the floor (and above the vapor
>barrier) without glue.  I may be wrong (happens often enough!)  or maybe it
>was just one of the styles I was looking at.
>I was thinking in my head, if I spilled some water and it got trapped under
>the floor, it would just sit there.

yes, you need to glue and clamp these floors. i'd never even consider
installing one without it.

if water ever manages to get under the floor, it will just sit there.
what happens next depends on a number of things.

in all cases, the water will seep into the flooring from the
underside, eventually destroying the segment of floor that it gets
into. this will be observable in the form off warped boards.

if you use an underlayment like pergo whisperwalk, well, it's
basically cardboard, and will soak up the water. mildew, etc., will
ensue.

in many installations, you need plastic sheeting for a vapor barrier
on top of the subfloor, and below the pergo type flooring and
underlayment (we did, since we have a radiant underfloor heating
system in that part of the house.) this will also tend to help trap
water directly under the flooring.

correctly installed, this type of flooring is fairly waterproof for
modest spills. we had a major honking disaster, and that's why the
floor is gone today.

there are some variations between the different flavors of pergo and
pergo like flooring; do your research. the Formica we went with is a
denser material than the Pergo, and had a somewhat better warranty at
the time.

richard

///