Re: core drilling brick

To: Shop-Talk Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: core drilling brick
From: Bill Rabel <brabel@dlux.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:56:02 -0800
My company rents rotohammers and carbide bits, but not core bits,
because breakage an/or abnormal wear are always the subject of an
argument. Don't expect to be able to rent a core bit. Some rental
yards may have them, but many may only sell you the bit.

If you want a clean hole through the brick face, buy a very small
diamond bit from Harbor Freight (I got three for under ten bucks).
You merely need to start the hole through the brick with diamond to
get a clean hole, and then you can rent a 1" or 1.5" carbide bit and
a rotohammer to go the rest of the way through.

If the hole has to be clean all the way through, buy a carbide core
bit (no water needed) and make sure the rental yard can adapt to what
you buy.

Bits can be purchased at the rental store, from a construction
supply, or look in the Yellow Pages under 'abrasives', strangely.