Re: [Shop-talk] relationship advice, (it's shop related, really!)

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] relationship advice, (it's shop related, really!)
From: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 14:40:15 -0500
Oops, somehow I got subscribed to DrPhil...!?!?  j/k

Quoting eric@megageek.com:

> Ok, a few years ago I lost a relationship...
> Now, that relationship was doomed for other reasons as well,

I suspect the second statement has more to do with the first than your shop
activities.

> if the married guys here want to give up some secrets to avoiding
> issues like these in the future.

Luck? I really don't know. We've been married over 30 years. I've always had
some sort of shop - from a dedicated work/desk in an apartment to a basement
shop/garage in our first house, etc.

I still have my first car (an MGA). When we were starting our family and money
was tight I suggested we sell the MG. My wife would not allow it. "You love
that car. We dated in that car. We have too many memories associated with that
car. Don't sell it - we get by." We did. And thus I have my car, my shop and a
great wife.

She jokes that most of our vacations involve a motor of some kind - vintage
racing, steam trains, etc. But I do try to include things she likes in both
our vacation plans and things I make in the shop. Most of our houses's
furniture I have made, kitchen cabinets, etc. Now I am making baby furniture
for grandchildren. And my wife will join me in the shop - staining furniture,
sanding between coats of polyurethane, etc.

So, I think I just got lucky. And I make sure she knows that...

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC