Re: [Shop-talk] Plumbing a shop (it's that time of the year again)

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Plumbing a shop (it's that time of the year again)
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:17:16 -0800
>> I'd rather solder copper...
>
> A +1 on the "rather solder copper" than work with threaded pipe. Had
> started with threaded connections and discovered it was difficult for me
> to get a non-leaking connection at 175 psi. I was finally able to get it
> to go with Teflon paste - threw the Teflon tape back in the toolbox to
> use for water connections. Anyway, switched to 1", 3/4" and 1/2" "L"
> copper and it went much more smoothly after that.

The thing to remember about black iron pipe is that it's sold mostly for
gas pipe, and gas service is 0.5psi, and in gas service it's
pressure-tested at something like 15psi, and most of the
hardware-store-grade fittings out there come from Shenzhen Rat Trap and
Foundry (1999) Ltd. these days; thread tolerances are spectacularly
variable.

Yeah, don't EVER bother with the tape, in gas service you've got to use
the yellow stuff, for air I'd use the Loctite PST and a BIG, BIG wrench.

With my copper setup the biggest problem I've got is leaky quick-connect
couplers.  Install them to point up, not down, so crud won't accumulate
in them and prevent them from closing properly...

John.