Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord gauge per load and distance

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord gauge per load and distance
From: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:56:17 -0400
Make sure to investigate the Interlockkit with your local inspector if you
will be pulling a permit or otherwise having an inspecting checking your
installation.  I installed one ealier this year and went through a bit of
hassle passing my final inspection.  Email from earlier this year:

Just to close this saga out...we passed the re-inspection.

I showed the inspector the cut sheet for the interlock (downloaded from
http://www.interlockkit.com/)  and the OSHA ruling.
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=22157

The inspector accepted my interpretation that the part is still certified.
Wyle was certified when the part was tested in 2009 and according to the
OSHA site "the Agency no longer accepts product certifications made by Wyle
on or after this effective date." (24-Aug-2011), so the part still holds a
valid UL listing.

If they make an interlock kit for a new panel, then they will need to use a
currently certified testing lab to get the UL listing for it.

To me and others it is a matter of common sense that mechanical interlock
either works or does not work, but it's obviously possible for inspectors
to stick to the letter of the code.

- Ian