Love my MIG Welder!!

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Love my MIG Welder!!
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 22:36:34 -0600
I used my new MIG welder for the first time tonight.

Unbelieveable!!!!

The difference between stick welding and MIG welding is like night
and day.  Took a little tinkering with the gas setting, wire speed
and heat setting but once they were in sync the welds came out
beautiful.  I had to make a rear axle drum puller for my dodge truck
rear end and it would have been real difficult to do with a stick
welder.  I probably could have used my gas welding outfit but it
would have taken a lot longer and I probably would have warped a few
things in the process.  I can't wait until I can weld on some sheet
metal.

I do have a couple of questions though,

1)      is there a recommended gas flow rate?  If so does it vary
according to metal thickness or heat setting?

2)      Is there something that can be used to keep the nozzel cover
clean?  Mine kept building up with junk inside.

3)      Anyone have any recommendations on what brand of auto darkening
helment would be best?  Are the $150 units any good?

TIA

Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Car is finally home and ready for
Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame back in garage and ready to
paint)