Re: Welding on Gas Tank-WARNING!

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Welding on Gas Tank-WARNING!
From: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:48:03 -0700
Even if the tank has no gasoline fumes, it could have other explosive
vapors from paint, welding process, etc.  TAKE NO CHANCES.  TRUST NO
TANK.  DO NOTHING YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE TO FAIL AT.

If I remember from Army days, we welded only when tanks were full.  It
was a real pain to fill 600 gallons just to weld a broken hold down.  I
recently heard of putting dry ice into tanks (like 10,000 underground
storage tanks) for a couple of hours to do welding on or near them.  The
CO2 will supposedly displace the explosive atmosphere for safe welding.
This is only for the very expert in the craft.

Are you sure you can't just find a spare tank around somewhere?
--
Brian W. Neuschwander