Yesterdays frustration...

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Yesterdays frustration...
From: Andy Warfield <warfiel@gaul.csd.uwo.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 10:39:46 -0400 (EDT)
Hiya,

        This isn't a spitfire only issue, but I have a little story to
share with the list.

        When I got my spit two years ago, the body was part red, part
brown, and part (mostly) rust.  After quite a bit of bang and bondo, I was
ready to paint.  Rather than keeping it red, I opted for a more drastic
change.  I got the color charts for old triumphs off of the net, and
decided to go with the triumph navy blue.

        I'd heard that PPG's concept acrylic urethane was a very nice
paint to work with, and since it was my first time painting that was a
priority.  The really great thing about it is the fact that you don't have
to clear coat.  So I picked up the paint last summer, and built a huge
tent around the spit in my driveway out of 2' x 3' and plastic vapour
barrier. (I don't have a garage.)

        All in all, the paining went well.  The car looked good despite a
little orange peeling, and some appartent flaws in my body work (Dark blue
brought these out like I never imagined).  I picked up two bottles of
PPG's compounding fluids, and finally got around to compounding the pain
yesterday.

        So, I'm about three quarters of the way through applying the
compounding fluid to the car's surface.  The shiny finish that was is
being replaced by a dull, lustureless sheen - but it's okay because it is
a very smooth lustureless sheen.  I was pretty darned content with how
things were going when half way across the driver's door the foam end on
the buffer (that I bought at the paint shop) snapped off.  The backing
plate slid over the edge of the foam and took a nice chip out of the paint
on the door.

        I said some less than pretty things about that.

        Anyways, I just got off the phone with the paint shop.  Sounds
like they are going to make right by me.  I still had to vent.

This list is great,

        Andy.

---
Andy Warfield