Re: Unbending MK4 Body Shell - How to ?

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, john derbyshire <jderbyshire@maxon-hq.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Unbending MK4 Body Shell - How to ?
From: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 08:28:57 -0700
John,

Part of the problem may be the windshield frame bent backward.  This
happens over time as people use it for a handle to pull themselves up
and out of the car.

The other problem may be sill rot.  Other than replacing sills, you
might find welding in angle braces where the floor meets the sill can
help solve your problem.  Jack the body first, to overflex it in the
right direction.  This will prestress the new structure and it could
come out about right.  Then again it might not...

This is the sort of method I used on my 65 Spitfire

--
Brian W. Neuschwander