Stuck on Stupid

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Subject: Stuck on Stupid
From: Brian Neuschwander <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 18:48:59 -0700
> To recap: My '79 Spitfire, with 47,000 miles and the original ZS 150 CDE
> carb, is running way too rich (as verified by black sooty spark plugs). I
> can't get it to run properly since I replaced  the o-ring in the air guide
> (dashpot) tube. No matter where I set the needle (from full rich to
> "falling out" lean) it runs too rich. After a minute of idling the Cat
> glows red. :-0

Sounds like the autochoke is stuck on stupid.

Do this:  Pull the choke unit off and cut a blanking gasket (no fuel
passage holes).  Reinstall.  The car might be hard to start, but once
warmed up, tune everthing else.  If you problems are gone, you know the
source.  The actual choke problem could be a number of things--Stuck or
worn pin, stuck bimetalic spring, wrong adjustment.

I solved my choke problem first by installing a manual conversion.
After about a year of good performance, I replace the whole ZS mess with
a Weber down draught.

--
Brian W. Neuschwander