HELP! Vapor Lock?

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: HELP! Vapor Lock?
From: Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 13:24:59 -0400
I have recently restored a 77' Spit and have put about 300 or so miles on
it in the last 2 months.  It has basically been very reliable except for
the following incident on my last trip:

Filled up with 93 octane in the morning (probably my first bad decision).
Drive 42 miles one-way to work (second problem you say) with no problems.
When I was 3/4 of the way back home after work 9 hours later, I got off the
highway (60 mph) to a 45 mph road.  I had to stop for a slow train so I got
under a tree a turned the motor off.  3-5 minutes later started her up and
ran just fine for about 100 yards, then...sputtering and death.  Started
right up while moving, 3 seconds later, sputtering and death.  I pulled
into a driveway and began the search.  (The car would only crank at thi
point).

What I found was the fuel line into the fuel pump "felt" pretty empty( I
had 1/2 a tank of gas).  I pulled off the line and got fuel to come out
though.  Hooked that back up and pulled off the line going into the carb.
Cranked and got NO gas.  SO I waited...30-40 minutes and my wife's patience
later (she was not with me but in spirit by cellphone BTW: Spitfires and
Cell phones go together nicely!).  Cranked and got fuel.  Hooked the line
back up and I was on my way.  However, the car ran with a VERY slow Idle
each time I stopped for a stop sign or light.  It usually idles really high
1500-2000RPM but was idling at 600-800RPM.

Does this sound like vapor lock?  I did some internet seaching on this
subject and found many people with these same symptoms with the following -
mechanical pump (older cars) trying to suck not push (i.e. lower the
pressure = boiling gas into vapor), stopping the car after being on the
highway, and using high octane fuels and having problems.

If is is, what can I do about preventing it?

MORE INFO: The car has headers and does NOT have the heat sheild that goes
between the carb and the exhaust manifold that I just found out about this
morning from a co-worker.  Would the absence heat shield cause this
behavior?

Thanks in advance!

John Cousins