Re: HELP! Vapor Lock?

To: Jjcousins@ra.rockwell.com
Subject: Re: HELP! Vapor Lock?
From: Ken Tharp <kthinc@dwx.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 08:22:58 -0500
John,

I don't think I can shed much more light on your situation than you have
already, but I can commiserate. A similar thing happened to me yesterday in my
79 Spitfire. My lovely wife finally bailed me out by coming to pick me up and
we left the Spitfire in a parking lot. Five hours (!) later, we went back to
pick it up. It started right away and I drove it most of the way home (probably
five miles or so). At that point, it died again. It's parked at this moment
about 1 1/2 miles away. We're preparing to go retrieve it now.

My mechanic (via cell phone - you're right, they're awfully handy when driving
a Spitfire....) diagnosed vapor lock. His suggestion is to install an electric
fuel pump. I don't know whether I'll do that or not - any thoughts?

Btw, why did you state that 93 octane fuel may have been your first mistake? I
chose 92 octane over 89, thinking I was doing the right thing.

Ken Tharp
79 Spitfire
West Des Moines, IA

--