Re: bonnet latches and stress cracks

To: dave eaton <dezn490@wadnr.gov>
Subject: Re: bonnet latches and stress cracks
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:07:02 -0400 ()
On Thu, 21 May 1998, dave eaton wrote:

> Thank you Andy. You explaned it so much better than I.

You're welcome. Although, you did raise the one point I neglected to
mention:

> ...the Herald [had] the counter balance spring...if ajusted correctly
> you could almost open the bonnet with one finger.

I'll vouch for that, even the 948 setup, which wasn't quite as well
engineered as the later 1200 design. My 948 Coupe' bonnet lifts about as
well as that of any Herald I've ever seen. But my 948 convertible bonnet,
which had suffered from the usual front overrider (hinge point) bashing
many years ago, is far more difficult to open. And I won't even mention
Old Weird Herald, dad's '64 1200 that got hit hard in the left front in
1967 and was "expertly" straightened (make that hammered and bondo'd) by a
15-year-old and his high school buddy the following summer. Opening that
bonnet is still a challenge (OK, I'll replace it someday -- I've got
better ones). ;-)

--Andy