Cracks, wheels, air filters.

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cracks, wheels, air filters.
From: Neil Penberthy <n.penberthy@liant.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:10:19 -0500
About cracks:

I've always lifted by the latch and never had a problem with cracks in that
area. I will not be lifting with them in the future, sounds like one
problem I can maybe avoid - thanks guys. I have rarely seen a MkIV / 1500
without the crack alongside the headlights though.

Andy mentioned wheels:

I too have those rare bolt on wires. I think they've been worth more than
the car for long periods of time! I have been offered large sums of money
for them in the past. I generally respray them every year or two. In fact
they are about due now as my (no longer, I trust) leaking calipers helped
more paint disappear. I would be very interested in the costs, and success
of the powder coating Andy. I have heard in bike circles that chrome is a
bad idea for spokes as they become more brittle and lose the flex that is
required for a wire wheel - does powder coat cause this as well ? Also do
these wheels  need to be trued as do "real" wires ? I ask because due to
someones "humorous" prank my left front wheel parted company with the car 2
years ago at 45 mph, and despite replacing the rotor ( brake disc) and
trunnion due to the damage caused, I still have a wicked vibration at 70 +
mph. All ideas are welcome on this one.

James mentions air filters / cleaners:

When the K&N air cleaners were installed on my car, at the same time as the
TriumphTune manifold, the car ran terribly until the needle was changed for
a richer needle. I think you are on the right line there.

On BCW:

Andy, I thought you said it most eloquently - IMHO the only thing that
competes with a summers ride in the Spit, is a ride on the Harley. Life
ain't bad at all.

Regards

Neil