Re: Bonnet latch cracking

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Bonnet latch cracking
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 19:51:56 -0700
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> I've got news for ya-I NEVER lift the bonnet by the latches.  Haven't for
> over eighteen years.....After many years of use on the GT6, I have stress
>cracks.  The sharp corner on the cutout, relatively thin metal and
>vibration/chassis flex will cause stress and eventual fractures.

Barry,
I guess since your situation is a variance from the norm, the latch-lift
syndrome is not the only reason for the cracks.  However, I must
conjecture that is surely must be the major factor (at least in most
cars)  Surely that activity cannot help the situation.

Your reason for not lifting by the latches is certainly novel, but valid
nonetheless.

Seeing stress fractures in aircraft skins and bulkheads gives cause to
think that over the years, any metal surface that experiences any manner
of stress can fall prey to metal fatigue.  I have to think that in order
to get the maximum mileage from our LBC's we must do everything
imaginable to keep those things at a minimum.

If we ensure that the bonnet latches and locators are properly adjusted,
then all we can do is minimize any additional stress the thing must
undergo.

Regards,
Joe Curry

P.S. One of these days some bearded guy is going to walk up to you and
demand to see the scar on your finger.  That would be me!!!

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer