BCW screeches to a halt

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: BCW screeches to a halt
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 05:23:52 -0700 (PDT)
for 'ol smokey, that is.

I've been looking at my '71 MKIV Spitfire since Wednesday, when it
wouldn't start on the side of the road.  I've looked at my Haynes
manual, and began to check for symptoms.

When I turn the key, the oil and ignition lights glow.  The headlights
have full power, etc.  I think the battery is fully charged.

When I try and crank it off the switch, it may turn the fan once or
twice, but that's it.  No starter motor, no clicking, nothing.

I was looking at the starter relay last night, wondering if it'd gone
bad.  This morning, though, I've looked at the latest vicky-brit
catalog, and am wondering if it's the solonoid.

Anybody have any tips on diagnosing the problem, and/or if I can
jump/bypass either of the previously mentioned items in order to get
it to crank?

I'd love to drive the beast to the car show tomorrow we're having at
Chateau Elan, in Braselton, Georgia.

My friend suggested that I bypass the solonoid with an alligator clip.
 I'll try that (get one at lunch), but was wondering if that checks
out, if it'd be safe to try bypassing the relay.  Won't cause any
damage, will it?

Thanks all!

Chip

==
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines." - Enzo Ferrari