Clutch trouble (More Questions)

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch trouble (More Questions)
From: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 11:12:30 -0400
Thanks to everyone who replied! The consensus seems to be either the release
bearing or the fingers on the cover, with one person urging me to check the
thrust washers (God I hope it's not that - will check first though). Wouldn't
screwed up cover fingers cause shifting problems though? It shifts fine still,
it's just noisy and springy feeling. Geuss I won't know till I have it apart.
Now for my next series of questions:

Any tips on taking it all apart - I know the gearbox has to come out through
the cockpit, but is it necessary to get under the car to get at all the
bolts -
in other words do I need to have it up on jack stands?

I have heard that I will need a mixture of clutch parts because I have a 69
1300 motor and a 77 gearbox with O/D. I am assuming that if I want to replace
the clutch I will need a 69 clutch cover and a 77 clutch plate (23 spline).
Correct? Or is there more to it? Moss only lists 71 and up covers, will this
work? I may try to get ahold of the PO, he built it in the first place! ;-)

Is it safe to drive it like this for the 15 miles to my folks place where I
can
work on it or should I have him flat bedded up there?

Anybody in Maine want to help - I'll supply any brand of Beer! ;-)

Kevin Rhodes
Portland, Maine

Freddy the sick Spit