Clutch trouble (More Info Part 2)

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch trouble (More Info Part 2)
From: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 15:44:50 -0400
Thanks again for the additional replies. I got up the courage to drive it out
to my folks place and made a couple additional observations. Until everything
warms up, it acts perfectly normally. Normal clutch pedal feel, no noises.
as I
drove along, I found that the springy feeling\noises started happening
progressively farther up the clutch travel. I also found that if I only
depressed the pedal to the end of the "normal" feeling part of its travel, I
can still shift perfectly fine! I'm stumped! I checked the crank movement to
see if there was a problem with the thrust washers - no movement that I could
detect so I guess it definitely must be in the clutch mechanism. This engine
only has ~10,000 miles on it. This additional info jog any brains? I suppose I
will just have to take it apart and look - can't say I am looking forward
to it
but I suppose it will be a learning experience.

Thanks again for the tips and emotional support!

Kevin Rhodes
Portland, Maine

Freddy the sick Spit