Re: Camber Adjust on the spitfire.

To: "Dr. Faustus" <drfaustus@london.crosswinds.net>
Subject: Re: Camber Adjust on the spitfire.
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 01:19:01 -0400
Dr. Faustus wrote:

> I was looking at my Spitfire today as I was loading my R/C racing
> equipment in it, and realized something.  The front wheels have positive
> camber (Tops of the wheels are farther out than the bottoms).  I know
> from my experience with the little cars that this makes for very
> inefficient cornering.  This is because as the car corners, the weight
> is pushed to the outside wheel.  The car also leans toward the outside.
> If the wheel have positive camber, you get even less of your tire on the
> road than if you had none.  Does anybody know if these principles hold
> true on full size cars (I can't imagine why not).

  Do the wheels on your R/C cars change camber as the suspension
travels?

  One thing about "full size cars" is that as the car corners, the
suspension
on the outside gives, which causes the wheel to go up into the wheel
well
and the camber changes.

  I know R/C cars can be pretty complex, perhaps they do as well.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/