Re: data base?

To: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: data base?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 13:34:18 -0700
Brad,
My feelings exactly.  I expect that at least 10 percent of the older
cars are still around in some form. but In time, perhaps we will have ba
better handle on that.  Bear in mind that I started theis list only last
September.  So (I hope) many more will be reported as time goes on.
During the summer as the shows are held and people get together, word of
the database will get passed around and more people will submit data.

Regards,
Joe

Brad Kahler wrote:

> > Model       # Built      # Registered   %
> > Mk1          45753             533     1.16%
> > Mk2          37409             492     1.31%
> > Mk3          65320             879     1.35%
> > MkIV         70021             686     0.98%
> > 1500         95829            1774     1.85%
> >
> > Notice how the percentage goes steadily up as the models advance,
> > with the noticable exception of the MkIV's.  I wonder if more of
> > them have been scrapped because of the great numbers built and
> > people's reluctance to restore them.
>
> Joe,
>
> I'm betting that age has more to do with it than anything else.  Since
> the real interest in these cars did start taking off until a few years
> ago I would venture to say that the vast majority of the older cars
> have been scrapped.  I think I mentioned this before but in 1987 when
> I was first starting my restoration of the Mk1 I was told by the
> salvage yard in Denver "Scotland Yard" that just that previous year
> they had crushed more than 100 spitfires.  I can't imagine how many
> others have done the same thing.  Sadly I don't think we'll ever
> really know.   So I would assume simple attrition is responsible for
> the dwindling numbers reported as they get older.
>
> I know that when I did my restoration I went through 1 - mk1,
> 1 - gt6, 1 - 1500 and robbed parts off of several cars that were in
> the salvage yard.
>
> Just my 0.02
>
> Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
>
> 1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
> 1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Slowly gathering the needed parts)
> 1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame painted, now suspension)

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer