Re: data base?

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: data base?
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 15:26:20 -0600
> Model       # Built      # Registered   %
> Mk1          45753             533     1.16%
> Mk2          37409             492     1.31%
> Mk3          65320             879     1.35%
> MkIV         70021             686     0.98%
> 1500         95829            1774     1.85%
>
> Notice how the percentage goes steadily up as the models advance,
> with the noticable exception of the MkIV's.  I wonder if more of
> them have been scrapped because of the great numbers built and
> people's reluctance to restore them.

Joe,

I'm betting that age has more to do with it than anything else.  Since
the real interest in these cars did start taking off until a few years
ago I would venture to say that the vast majority of the older cars
have been scrapped.  I think I mentioned this before but in 1987 when
I was first starting my restoration of the Mk1 I was told by the
salvage yard in Denver "Scotland Yard" that just that previous year
they had crushed more than 100 spitfires.  I can't imagine how many
others have done the same thing.  Sadly I don't think we'll ever
really know.   So I would assume simple attrition is responsible for
the dwindling numbers reported as they get older.

I know that when I did my restoration I went through 1 - mk1,
1 - gt6, 1 - 1500 and robbed parts off of several cars that were in
the salvage yard.

Just my 0.02

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Slowly gathering the needed parts)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame painted, now suspension)