Re: tonneau

To: Sam Gentry <hsgentry@cfw.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tonneau
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 21:22:52 -0400
At 01:14 PM 5/31/98 -0400, Sam Gentry wrote:
>I am looking at a 72 Spitfire Mk IV.  I notice that there are no Tonneau
>snaps on the doors or under the windscreen.  There is no indication that
>the car has been painted or the crash pad replaced, but there are no snaps.
> Was the tonneau optional in 72?

I have a Spit Mark IV new car brochure, and it states that the tonneau was
an option.   Interestingly, the car pictured has the snaps on the doors,
but nothing on the dash.

>Also I noticed PLASTIC dash panels in the boot.  the car has wood panels,
>but I don't think I ever say a spit with plastic.  Is the plastic original
>and the wood a replacement?

It would seem so.   Same brochure shows a black dash and black-rimmed
instruments.

Here's an interesting aside:  My brochure shows the taillight panel painted
black, yet I haven't seen any of the local Mark IVs painted this way.  Did
this detail make it into production?     Andy?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA
"Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the local speed limits?"