Re: do we have a corner here ?

To: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Subject: Re: do we have a corner here ?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 09:59:35 -0700
I debated for quite some time on whether or not to comment on this
issue.  But I feel like my emotions were too great on the subject to
suppress any longer.

While I too am concerned about the number of messages coming in and
having to wade through them, I am totally against eliminating what some
consider "idle chatter"  What is "idle chatter" to some may be important
communication for others.

I sit looking at messages where people are selling scale models, books
and other paraphernalia that I have no interest in but I tolerate it
because someone else just might need or want something like that.

So, I think that a bit of tolerance is in order here.  The "Delete" key
is a wonderful thing.  If one sees a thread that he is not interested
in, he can simply delete all messages with the related subject line.

After all, in eliminating "idle chatter", we might just be throwing out
the baby with the bath water.

And with that said, I'll exit to my corner.

Regards,
Joe Curry

Vic Whitmore wrote:

> My sentiments exactly. I whole heartly endorsed the passing of idle
> chatter...but do it among those that are interested. Not on the list.
>
> Vic Whitmore
>
> Joe Whalley wrote:
> >
> > At the risk of being sent to the list corner, I quit the triumph list
> > to cut down on chatter, yet have gotten about 20 messages today about
> > "door for sale" that is just idle chat. Can we stay relevent?
> > Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer