Re: Forget my Light Switch Question... but take a look at this

To: "Andrew J. Braverman" <ajb23@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu>
Subject: Re: Forget my Light Switch Question... but take a look at this
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 09:53:51 -0400 ()
On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Andrew J. Braverman wrote:

> ...decided that those old wiring parts for the lights are just not
> worth it...

Depends. Unless the switches are completely worn out or there are bits
broken, it shouldn't be too difficult to simply replace any bad wiring on
the switches. I suspect that it probably isn't all that easy to find the
"correct" column switch (see below), but NOS ones do turn up from time to
time at auto flea markets, etc. And there might be some good used ones
around.

> I have come up with a wiring plan to rewire the lights with all
> new wire and some new conveniences...
> basically, as long as everything is OK (I am going to test it personally)
> this can be used as a good way of upgrading the older (Mk. I, II) lighting
> for those of us who want parking lights, and a non-floor mounted dimmer
> switch (that is one thing that I dont thnk fits too well in this tiny
> car)... also, I have incorporated a momentary switch for "flashing" the
> brights....

Uh, I'm a bit confused here. First off, is this a U.S.-specification
Spitfire Mk.2? I'm assuming it is, since you mention the floor-mounted
dimmer switch. Regardless, I don't understand the comments about wanting
parking lights and a "flashing" the brights switch; your car should have
both of these features. That is, of course, so long as some DPO didn't
already disable these features.

It is useful to note that the U.S.-bound cars were wired differently in
the light circuits. Home market cars had a two-position dash switch: first
position turned on the "main lighting" and second position illuminated the
gauges. The column switch on this setup had three positions: side, main,
dip (i.e., parking, high beam, low beam).

U.S. cars were a bit different. The column switch acted as the main
lighting switch -- off, side, head -- with the dimmer switch on the floor,
and a switch on the dashboard that would control only the gauge
illumination.

But even the U.S. Mk.2 Spitfires I've known of over the years had a
flash-to-pass feature built into the column stalk -- simply pull the lever
towards you. And the side (parking) lamps do remain illuminated once the
headlamps are on -- unusual at the time, although nowadays it is the
"norm."

So exactly what is it you plan to upgrade? :-)

BTW, even the factory workshop manual wiring diagrams tended NOT to
show correct switches and wiring for the earlier U.S. Spitfires, with the
notable exception of the original _Owner's Handbook_, which DOES detail
the LHD, U.S. light circuit wiring correctly.

> Next plan is to figure out how to add hazards to the turn signals
> :)

That, too, should be pretty simple. Take a look at a later Spitfire wiring
diagram (or TR6, or any later Triumph) to see how it was done. Basically,
the switch for the "hazards" simply has to disconnect the turn signal
circuits and activate all four lamps (and a warning lamp) at once -- the
hazard function should override the regular turn signal function.

--Andy