RE: spitfire names (New Topic)

To: "jim.gambony@eds.com" <jim.gambony@eds.com> (IPM Return requested),
Subject: RE: spitfire names (New Topic)
From: "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" <Andrew.Lindberg@CORP.honeywell.com>
Date: 08 Jul 1998 12:57:06 -0500
jim.gambony@eds.com wrote: "When I bought my '73 Spitfire, I seriously
considered locating a rover 3500 V8 as a replacement motor. Of course, the
conversion never happed."

Jim --

This has been a dream (fantasy?) of mine for a few years, but I've never
been able to find much info on it.  So I have a lot of questions of which
the following is just the tip of the iceberg: Does the Rover/Buick fit in
the Spit/GT6 engine bay?  Easily or with a lot of pounding/cutting on body
panels?  How much heavier/lighter is it than the Spit/GT6 iron engines?
 What trannies hook up to it?  How long can the rear differential stand the
V8's torque before it explodes?

I've never seen a report by anybody that's done the conversion (unlike the
reports on the web and elsewhere of people that have dropped a Ford 302 in
their TR6), but I'm not quite ready to let the dream die yet.

Anybody out there done this?  Seen a car which has had the conversion done?
 I'd appreciate any info (or even speculation) on this topic.

 -- Minnesota Andy (A GT6 owner who doesn't have the money, or time, or
talent, or space to do the conversion right now but would like to start
planning for more prosperous times.  And who also knows where he can get a
Buick version of this engine for not too much.)

p.s. Jim, did I see your name on the sign-up list for the VTR convention up
here in the great north woods?