Re: Nervous tension

To: Andrew Lindeman <drfaustus@london.crosswinds.net>
Subject: Re: Nervous tension
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 15:52:35 -0500 ()
On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Andrew Lindeman wrote:

> I'm at the final step of my timing chain/cover replacement, and need a piece
>of
> advise.  I'm having trouble getting the cover back on.  It will not go on with
> the tensioner uncompressed, but how to I compress it while I put the cover on?
> My fingers seem a bit to thick, when I take my finger out, the tensioner isn't
> on the chain yet.  Anybody have a trick?

Funny, I remember how I did this the first time 20 years ago, but I don't
remember how I did it just this past spring. (Am I getting THAT old? Don't
answer!) Basically, I seem to recall a bit of luck, prayer and careful use
of a stiff piece of wire such as an old coathanger used to keep the
tensioner out of the way until the cover is pretty much in place.

--Andy