Re: spit6 works car-was ABDU or something

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: spit6 works car-was ABDU or something
From: Thomas Carney <gt6in@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 08:38:41 -0800 (PST)

---Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Thomas Carney wrote:
>
> >   That car is really nice!  One question though, what happened to
the
> > bulge?  Are these the Spit6 bodies that were put on TR5 frames hence
> > the engine sits lower?
>
> Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your reference here. But none of
the
> works Spitfires -- rallye or race -- had six-cylinder engines.*
Therefore,
> no bulge originally on any of them. And the bodies were never on the
TR5
> frame: a. it didn't exist until the career of the works Spitfires was
> nearly over, and b: no way it would fit together. TR gearboxes were
used
> at times in some of the works Spitfires, though.

Hmm that is strange... I swear I heard on speedvision about a year ago
that the early what they reffered to as the "spit6" was on a TR frame.
 This was on one of their history segments, I believe it was the 64 or
65 Alpine Rally.  Could this be the one race in which the Lemans
bonnet was used?  The one shown had faired lamps.  Perhaps I
misinterpreted the info or college life got in the way.

> Also, the works rallye cars and "endurance" cars had primarily the
> fastback shape in common. I think it was for one event and one event
only
> that the rallye cars borrowed the faired-headlamp bonnets of the
LeMans
> cars. Most of the time, the rallye cars had "normal" headlamp
position
> often augmented by extra lamps grafted to the bonnet inboard of the
> regular headlamps.
>
> > What ever happened to the guy who said he had
> > the machinery or knew someone that could make fiberglass replicas?
 He
> > was US based...
>
> He's around and is or was on the list. He and I chatted a bit about
this
> sometime back. This would not be an inexpensive undertaking,
particularly
> if the desired result would be a quality product that fitted easily
and
> well and maintained original features such as the inner wheel wells,
> support tubes and hinge pivot brackets. After seeing some of the
earlier
> "replica" bonnets and hearing horrible stories about struggles to
make
> them half-way presentable and useful, I'd not want to go through that
> sort of thing!

Makes fiberglass look like a bad idea.  Oh well....it was a shot...Now
how to make faired hedlamps on and existing GT6, I'll have to figure
this one out....This topic has really falred up my curiousity
unfourtunately a college budget does not allow for much creativity.

> --Andy

> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>    *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

Tom