Re: spit6 works car-was ABDU or something

To: Thomas Carney <gt6in@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: spit6 works car-was ABDU or something
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 11:58:35 -0500 ()
On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Thomas Carney wrote:

> Hmm that is strange... I swear I heard on speedvision about a year ago
> that the early what they reffered to as the "spit6" was on a TR frame.
> This was on one of their history segments...

I don't know, since I don't get speedvision (or cable, or satellite...).
:-( At times, TR4 gearboxes and/or brakes were used in some of the works
Spitfires.

> I believe it was the 64 or 65 Alpine Rally.  Could this be the one race
> in which the Lemans bonnet was used?  The one shown had faired lamps.
> Perhaps I misinterpreted the info or college life got in the way.

Might be (I should have looked it up last night).

> Makes fiberglass look like a bad idea.  Oh well....it was a shot...

Don't give up. They're not ALL bad. The one example I cited was
particularly poor. The basic outer shape was more or less there, but it
was apparently a real "economy" attempt, and it lacked much detail. Not
the least of the lacking items were inner wheel arches and, therefore,
much of any way to approach the original way of mounting and pivoting the
bonnet.

> Now how to make faired hedlamps on and existing GT6, I'll have to figure
> this one out....

Doesn't seem as if it ought to be that difficult, given good measurements
(so you know where to cut) and traditional "customizing" bodywork skills
(so you know how to "lead" or "French" or whatever else might have to be
done. I might try it myself someday. Fortunately, I have a couple of
really trashed bonnets on which to practice my mediocre and long-unused
metalworking skills!

--Andy