Re: spit6 works car-was ABDU or something

To: Thomas Carney <gt6in@yahoo.com>, Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>,
Subject: Re: spit6 works car-was ABDU or something
From: Zach Zaletel <zzalet@po-box.mcgill.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:23:53 -0500
At 8:38 AM -0800 11/3/98, Thomas Carney wrote:
>---Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Thomas Carney wrote:
>>
>> >   That car is really nice!  One question though, what happened to
>the
>> > bulge?  Are these the Spit6 bodies that were put on TR5 frames hence
>> > the engine sits lower?
>>
>> Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your reference here. But none of
>the
>> works Spitfires -- rallye or race -- had six-cylinder engines.*
>Therefore,
>> no bulge originally on any of them. And the bodies were never on the
>TR5
>> frame: a. it didn't exist until the career of the works Spitfires was
>> nearly over, and b: no way it would fit together. TR gearboxes were
>used
>> at times in some of the works Spitfires, though.
>
>Hmm that is strange... I swear I heard on speedvision about a year ago
>that the early what they reffered to as the "spit6" was on a TR frame.
> This was on one of their history segments, I believe it was the 64 or
>65 Alpine Rally.  Could this be the one race in which the Lemans
>bonnet was used?  The one shown had faired lamps.  Perhaps I
>misinterpreted the info or college life got in the way.
>

>> Also, the works rallye cars and "endurance" cars had primarily the
>> fastback shape in common. I think it was for one event and one event
>only
>> that the rallye cars borrowed the faired-headlamp bonnets of the
>LeMans
>> cars. Most of the time, the rallye cars had "normal" headlamp
>position
>> often augmented by extra lamps grafted to the bonnet inboard of the
>> regular headlamps.
>>
>> > What ever happened to the guy who said he had
>> > the machinery or knew someone that could make fiberglass replicas?
> He
>> > was US based...
>>
>> He's around and is or was on the list. He and I chatted a bit about
>this
>> sometime back. This would not be an inexpensive undertaking,
>particularly
>> if the desired result would be a quality product that fitted easily
>and
>> well and maintained original features such as the inner wheel wells,
>> support tubes and hinge pivot brackets. After seeing some of the
>earlier
>> "replica" bonnets and hearing horrible stories about struggles to
>make
>> them half-way presentable and useful, I'd not want to go through that
>> sort of thing!
>
>Makes fiberglass look like a bad idea.  Oh well....it was a shot...Now
>how to make faired hedlamps on and existing GT6, I'll have to figure
>this one out....This topic has really falred up my curiousity
>unfourtunately a college budget does not allow for much creativity.
>
>> --Andy

Could the car with the TR frame that people are thinking about be the Fury
prototype that, though it looked similar to a spit, used mainly TR4
components and the 6 from the 2000 saloon?

If anyone wants a picture of this car, email me and I'll get it sent off in
bulk in a day or three here.

Zach Zaletel
70 Spit III