Head stud troubles

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Head stud troubles
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 20:58:22 -0000
Hi there,

You may all know about my cylinder head problems.  I have found the leak,
around cylinder no4, this just where I had problems with two head studs.

The probelm I had was with the two under the rocker gear around cylinder no
4.  When I started to torque them down they got to about 30ftlb and started
to loosen up, so I stopped there, and hoped it would get me through until
Chistmas.  It didn't.  I can't remember if the studs started turning or not,
to be honest I don't think I could see.  I know I did use new nuts, and I
re-taped the block and dyed the studs.

I think it's a stripped thread in the block.  It is one of two things, the
studs, or the block.

I have ordered new studs and I hope this is it, but it is posible that the
block is stripped is this likely.

Has anyone had any experience with the helicoil type repair kit, can it be
done at home by hireing the kit or is it a job for the pro's?

Do you have to drill the block or can you just tap the bigger size thread?

If you need to drill will the old hole keep the new hole square?

Anyone know what its likely to be?