glowing fan elbow union

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: glowing fan elbow union
From: Joachim Buermann <jbuermann@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 20:55:17 +0100 (MET)
hi everybody

I have restored a 77 Spitfire 1500 completly. At last I replaced the
standard exhaust system with a high-grade steel and fan elbow union.
When I run the motor without driving the car I noticed an only easily
red glowing of the fan elbow union. (My garage has no electrical light
and is a little bit dark).
At first time I think this results from a bad ignition timing, but the
timing is ok. The timing of the cam shaft is also correctly, this
means no valvet opens earlier or to late. I controlled this directly
over the cams with a dial gauge and cannot see any deviations to the
factory settings.
The distributor is a new one and the carburetors is working right.
Also the motor temperature is normal.
I contacted my thriumph dealer, but he doesn't know this effect.
Perhabs it's not a bug, but at this time nobody confirmed it to me.
(I cannot sleep until I know what's going wrong). It would already be
enough to me to hear that this behavior is normal.

For a small hint or note I would be infinitely grateful.
(And excuse my bad english)

Thanks at all

Jo
---