Re: Limited slips and Lockers

To: Bill Manning <gripdad@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Limited slips and Lockers
From: Jari Tabell <jari.tabell@pp.inet.fi>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 18:01:14 -0800
Bill Manning wrote:

> Jari,
>     Two seconds off a lap time is awsome. What differential were you
> running before-a std. 4:11 Spitfire, a welded Spitfire or something
> else. Did your new differential have a different ratio?
>                     Bill  #3 VARA EP Spitfire

Bill,

Before I had a std. Spitfire/Herald 4.11 'one wheel drive' and choosing
the ratio for LSD unit was easy, the same 4.11 was the only one I got...

However, for next season I'm waiting a packet from U.S. with 4.88 gears
inside. Probably they're sailing somewhere on Atlantic sea now.

LSD helped to get much more speed when coming out of corners. This helps
to increase straight line speed too. Before my Spitfire spinned the
inside wheel on corners very badly. Normally standard diff doesn't even
withstand that for long which was just what happened to my car in the
first race this season. The cross pin came loose and broke everything
except the casing of the diff.

In fact you can see in this picture:
http://personal.inet.fi/cool/hrf/G9813.JPG how we are going side by side
with an Imp. Thanks to my new LSD I was able overtake him even if I was
on outside of the corner. In this same incident I ensured my points
class victory of the whole season!

In addition to all this good, the Quaife diff works fine on road too. No
changes, except the wheel spin is away...

Jari
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jtabell