Re: Bonnet prop rod question

To: "Kirby T. Kenyon" <kenyonkt@maple.lemoyne.edu>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Bonnet prop rod question
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 11:08:47 GMT
Kirby writes...

>I'm having problems with my Bonnet prop rod.  My '72 MKIV came without one.
> I had pieces that came with the '73 1500 parts car but they were not
>together nor installed in the car.  This set, unlike my '80 prop rods, are
>bent in a circular manner with the lower prop rod welded on piece ending up
>90 degrees from the long rod.  The top rod is bent the other way.  My '80
>has a straight set and I've never seen any pictures with this other
>configuration.

My '74 is this way.

>If anyone with a '73 could tell me if they have the same configuration and
>which way they should be installed I would be very grateful.  One way over,
>the Bonnet doesn't close properly.  The other way, the rod has to go
>forward in order for the bonnet to fold down.  I'm stumped, the rods don't
>appear to have been bent since the original brown paint appears intact and
>the rods have a very smooth bend to them.

Both sections are curved.  The bottom section has the welded "cradle"
attached.  You raise the bonnet and pull the center section towards
you to engage the "cradle".  Lower the bonnet slightly and it should
stay in place but it doesn't *snap-lock* like other 1500s. To release,
raise the bonnet again and it will automatically fall away forward.

FWIW,  the straight arrangement gives much better access to the engine
bay.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits