Vacuum advance vs retard.

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Vacuum advance vs retard.
From: GatesDavid@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 06:16:17 EST
The recent thread that I started about my failed vacuum advance turned up two
things.  First that it is a retard unit not an advance and second that it is
just about impossible to buy just the vacuum unit apart from the distributor.
A fellow lister has offered to sell me a whole distributor (thanks Glenn) but
it is an advance rather than my current retard unit.  Now I have given this a
little thought and it should make no difference as long as I replace the whole
distributor and vacuum unit as a whole.  The timing will be different but it
should still work fine.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

David Gates
Hawaii
'73 Spitfire 1500
'78 Spitfire 1500