Re: Vacuum advance vs retard.

To: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Subject: Re: Vacuum advance vs retard.
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:45:43 -0800
David,
I agree with Bob.  But the easiest thing to do is match the Vacuum unit
to the Carburetor setup that you have on the engine.  In my case, I used
an advance unit from a Mk3 that matched the twin SU setup (also from a
Mk3) that I have on my 1500.

The reason you must do this is because the vacuum is different id it is
tapped off the carburetor or the intake manifold.

I may have a functioning Retard unit.  If you are interested, I will
look and see what I have.

Joe

Bob Norway wrote:

> Yes you can use either.... You WILL have to fiddle with the vacuum connection
> insure you use the correct port from the carb. I have used both dizzys,
>finding
> about a 12degree difference in timing between them.
>
> Good luck
>
> Bob
>
> GatesDavid@aol.com wrote:
>
> > The recent thread that I started about my failed vacuum advance turned up
>two
> > things.  First that it is a retard unit not an advance and second that it is
> > just about impossible to buy just the vacuum unit apart from the
>distributor.
> > A fellow lister has offered to sell me a whole distributor (thanks Glenn)
>but
> > it is an advance rather than my current retard unit.  Now I have given this
> > little thought and it should make no difference as long as I replace the
>whole
> > distributor and vacuum unit as a whole.  The timing will be different but it
> > should still work fine.  Can anyone confirm if this is correct?
> >
> > David Gates
> > Hawaii
> > '73 Spitfire 1500
> > '78 Spitfire 1500