Re: Gunmetal Grey on Triumphs

To: "Andrew Mace" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Gunmetal Grey on Triumphs
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 00:28:06 -0000
> So, anyone else out there with a U.S. or North American-spec. GT6 or
> other Triumph originally with #18 Gunmetal Grey paint? I vaguely
remember
> seeing a 2000 sedan years ago in that color; that's about it.
>
> Thanks in advance for any input. BTW, it's a pretty color from what I
can
> see of it -- pretty much what you'd expect from the name.

Andy,

>From what I remember, Gunmetal was an available colour for early Mk 1
GT6's.
That said, it was later restricted to Triumph Saloons and Estate cars
of all types.
I think it was withdrawn in about 1968 and replaced with Slate Grey.

It's worth mentioning that Gunmetal was not really all that popular.
Some liked it
- many didn't. It was a dark grey with green overtones.
However, a little known fact about the production scheduling at Triumph
was that a customer was able to order a car in quote "a non-standard
combination of
standard colours" unquote. This was not really effectively communicated
to the global
network as a whole for Coventry built cars. Most dealers interpreted it
as a non standard
combo within a specific model range and relayed this to their
customers.
In reality, it meant that you could order a non-standard combination of
standard colours
for ANY car. As an additional example, at a time when Black was not an
available colour
on the colour charts, the customer could still order that colour
provided he/she accepted
a limited production run and a possible longer wait for delivery. This
is because Black
(and I jest not) was painted only on Friday afternoons and was the last
colour to go through
the paint lines before they were purged and the paintshop cleaned down
over each weekend.

John Mac