Gunmetal Grey on Triumphs

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Gunmetal Grey on Triumphs
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 13:41:37 -0500 (EST)
An informal survey, if you will:

Recently, fellow co-conspirator Clark Nicholls and I have come across a
1967 GT6 in what appears to be quite restorable condition (despite years
of -- politely put -- casual storage). Underneath the current livery of
faded and peeling metallic silver is its original color, also evident on
the underside of the bonnet. That color is #18, Gunmetal Grey.

This intrigues me, as it is the first Mk.1 GT6 I've ever encountered in
that color. From what I've observed over the years and have been able to
research, this was NOT a common color on Triumphs delivered to the U.S.
It was offered on the Herald/Vitesse range from 1963-69, according to
Costigan's book on those cars. Again, I can't recall seeing any Heralds
in that color. During the mid-1960s, it appears that relatively few
"stock" colors were available on U.S.-destined Triumphs. The DuPont color
chart for 1965 as reproduced at the VTR Web site is evidence of that
(perhaps 1965 was simply a low point in color choices?).

So, anyone else out there with a U.S. or North American-spec. GT6 or
other Triumph originally with #18 Gunmetal Grey paint? I vaguely remember
seeing a 2000 sedan years ago in that color; that's about it.

Thanks in advance for any input. BTW, it's a pretty color from what I can
see of it -- pretty much what you'd expect from the name.

--Andy