RE: Creaky Squeaky Spitfire

To: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>,
Subject: RE: Creaky Squeaky Spitfire
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:33:04 -0500
Paul, Vic, Hector, and others,

The shock top bushing is new but I'll check that.   The trunnions have been
lubricated a couple times since last spring, but if it's the lower bolt
then it's gotta come out of there and be re-lubricated, doesn't it?  ISTR
that the trunnion oil does not get into that pivot point.

BTW, I forgot to mention that all mounting bolts were given a generous
dollop of anti-sieze inside the distance tubes when they were re-assembled.
 At mid-summer, about 1000 miles after the rebuild, the bushings started
creaking but this was resolved by re-torqueing everything -- the bushings
had started to move. Just a week ago, I replaced the sway bar bushes (the
only thing I didn't replace last winter).  Looks as if I'll be backing the
bolts out one by one 'till I find the culprit(s).

Paul - have YOU re-torqued your suspension since your rebuild?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire