Re: Your Spitfire!!!!

To: "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" <Andrew.Lindberg@Corp.Honeywell.com>
Subject: Re: Your Spitfire!!!!
From: Bill and Sal Birney <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:42:23 +1100
>differential in a few weeks.  He recommended converting the diff to a Datsun
>510 unit, along with associated supension pieces and subframe.  This, of
>course, costs some real money.

It is not neccessary to go that far.

The Datsun 510 (1600 over here in Oz) diff can be bolted into the GT6 or
Spitfire by making up an adapter unit.

This unit bolts to the original diff mounts in the car, and carries the
spring, the diff than bolts into this carrier.

Mating driveshafts is not that hard, aparently there are some of these
diffs with drive flanges (like the triumph ones), in this case two adapters
are needed to adapt from the datsun to Triumph bolt pattern, and to set the
offest from the centreline to the correct value (note that the left and
right adapters are different thickness as the datsun diff is asymetrical).

If (like most of us) you can only get the diff with universal yoke type
inner shafts (these shafts bolt in with axial bolts down their centreline
by the way), then the best route is to make up drive plates to suit, and
then use the inner shafts from a Subaru. These are designed to take the CV
joints, and are splined.

Yes this diff is still in products, and used in the back of all 4wd
subaru's!, the range of ratio's, and LSD availability is excellent!

You want to go further, eliminate the rotoflex? O.K. take the subaru diff,
make up the carrier, add a 1/2 inch spacer to the spring mount while you
have the opportunity.

Toyota Supra's (at least), use CV's that bolt up to a plate (rather than
going onto a splited shaft), go to the local CV shop and get them to spec
up a driveshaft with a subaru inner, and supra (or other similar) outer CV,
also get a couple of supra rear stub axles (or make up your own drive
plates), cut off the rotoflex and replace with a 'supra' drive plates.

Now take the assembled (but to drivable) car to the CV shop and let tham
get the driveshaft lengths right (notes that one will be longer than the
other).

You now have a very strong rear end, these diffs can cope with massive
amounts of grump (we have a guy over here running about 150+ BHP at the
back wheels through a datsun diff, no problems)

The other advantage is no need to cut up the chassis for the datsun
subframe (there is a Spitfire had this done here, not an easy job), and it
can be reversed (you will however need a new set of Rotoflex axles!)

Bill and Sal Birney
Melbourne, Australia

'67 Spitfire  MkII - Under resto
'70 GT6+ (RHD)