re: Your Spitfire!!!!

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: Your Spitfire!!!!
From: rotorheadx2@juno.com
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:27:01 EST
Well, I have been lurking for about two weeks now and couldn't resist
this thread.  I have a 78 spit and several Mazda RX-7s and I believe a
great retrofit would be a ported 12a or 13b rotary.  Not only does one
lose at least 100 lbs in the process the stock to stock gain in
horsepower is somewhere between 25 and 30.  If you go with a good port
job and carb you can have 150hp very quickly out of the rotary.  I have
seen a Mk IV with this done and it looks very good.  Frame work is
minimal to none and the placement of the motor is easy to attain to keep
good handling characteristics in the car.  Also, the length and shift
lever placement of the 79 and 80 trannys makes them a drop in item.  Not
real cutting to do that I could tell.  So less, weight, more hp, and a
smooth running powerplant, good combo I would say.

Nelson Craig
78 Spit