Re: tech: parts storage question

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: Re: tech: parts storage question
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 22:01:01 -0000
> If you all are anything like me, you've got spare parts lurking in
the
> garage (or in my case the barn) waiting for the day you may need
them.
> Since Triumph usually didn't waste much money properly
painting/coating the
> cast iron pieces (and the years in between have removed most paint
anyway),
> does anyone have a lead on that greasy/waxy coating that the new
parts are
> typically coated with?

Jim

>From what I remember, many parts were sprayed with an grease based
preservative and another 'vapourable' carrying agent. The agent
quickly flashed off, leaving the oil residue as a protectant. Waxed
and greased paper was another common source of protective packaging
which if left for many years in the original boxing still provided
sufficient protection against corrosion. Well, they have with mine
anyway. Gears and other machined parts were immersed in another
semi-transparent brown coloured protective agent which was slightly
rubbery to the touch when set. This was gasoline soluble, tho it
makes a filthy mess on your hands when removing it.

Jonmac