Re: Fuel Guage

To: <ScottBarr8@aol.com>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Guage
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:33:06 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: ScottBarr8@aol.com <ScottBarr8@aol.com>
To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Date: 18 November 1998 03:51
Subject: Fuel Guage

>Friends,
>
>Day 1 - Fuel guage ceases to register
OK wire off!
>Day 2 - Operator foolishly believes the odometer and fails to fill up -
walks
>to station
Ok drained all the horible stuff up from the bottom of the tank.
>Day 3 - GT6 refuses to start, quickly draining the battery - much fuel
exits
>K&Ns
Carbs have said horible stuff in them and need a clean.
>Day 3 - (later) temps now in the 30s, operator taps on float bowls, GT6
starts
Horible stuff dislodged
>Day 4 - (a.m.) temps in the 30s GT6 starts, operator leaves lights on in
lot
>30 mins.

Opperators needs to invest in a buzzer from the light supply wire to the
opperators side door switch.
>Day 5 - (p.m.) battery has not recovered, GT6 laughs at operator's attempts
>start
If battery is drained to under 30% of it's capacity it never recovers
supprisingly littel of it's capacity, %70 at best. Ok I can't remember the
exact figures but....  If added to bad battery in the first place you will
have no power.   Opperator did try to recharge battery?
>Day 6 - (a.m.) temps in the 20s, GT6 turns over twice and goes back to bed

>An unerring instinct and sharp mechanical sympathy tells me that something
is
>wrong.  Is it likely that the failure of the fuel gauge is caused by a
short
>which is also draining the battery?
In short ;-) no!  The power to the fule gadge comes from the regulator then
from the ignition.
If the temp is working then it's a problem with the gadge it's self(having
stripped one I doubt it) the sender, or most likely the wiring!
Look to see if there is voltage from the coloured wire of the sender to body
earth.  If so it's the sender or the wireing to the earth, check resistance
of black wire of sender to body earth, 0 ohm good for wire, infinity ohm bad
for wire!  If it's the sender your on your own I don't know about doing them
althouh there thoes that do!  If there is no voltage at the sender coloured
wire then you need to investigate the wireing loom(eek) pull the center dash
pannel to expose the back of the fule gadge.  With power on short the non
supply wire (look in wiring diagram) to earth, the gadge should go full
scail.  If not and swapping the common coloured connections of fule and temp
dosent work suspect gadge else wireing!

>Also likely that the empty-tank episode

>yielded tank/line crap which stuck one or both floats open and caused the
>driveway version of the Exxon Valdez?
Yes more than likely the float stuck open flooding the car.  I am afraid to
say you may need to strip your carb for a good clean!

>Other causes?

Some one is out to get you!