Re: [Fwd: Overdrive]

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Overdrive]
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:27:25
Huw,  I performed one of the Mods earlier this year, really quite easy.
First question is which overdrive are you planning on using "A" type or "J"
type.  Mine was a "j" type conversion.  The conversion for the most part is
a straight out parts swap.  The exception being with the electical,  the
earlier spits had the switch on the column, later they were on the gear
shift.  The "A" type overdrives required a relay system to operate it
(works off of higher voltage, I believe) while the "J" type is straight
wiring using the power from the reverse light switch to connect to the gear
shift switch and lock out switch to provide power to the servo and make a
complete circle. ( I believe you call this wiring in serial).  It is very
easy, I created the wiring for my OD and it was simple.  If I can answer
any questions please just ask.

Patrick

<3659AC56.238E2AAF@gte.net>
>Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:41:26 -0800
>From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
>To: Huw Upshall <hupshall@wolfenet.com>
>Subject: Re: Overdrive
>
>Huw,
>Interestingly enough, I am in the process of installing an overdrive in
>Huxley (my red Mk1).
>
>I am using a 3-rail tranny from a MkIV Spit but the later single rail
>installs with the same modifications.  Here's what is required:
>
>1. The OD Tranny (obviously)
>2. A longer Speedometer cable
>3. An angle drive for the Speedo cable (if not already on the tranny)
>4. A different rear mount for the tranny.
>5. A different mounting plate for the frame
>6. The driveshaft must be shortened to take the longer unit.
>7. A switch must be installed to control the OD. In the later Spits it
>was a lever on the steering column, but you can mount a switch almost
>anywhere.  Mine is on the shift knob.
>8. A little wiring modification and you are in business.
>
>As soon as I get My tranny back from Barry Nelson, you are welcome to
>follow my own installation to see what difficulties I encounter.
>
>Regards,
>Joe
>
>Huw Upshall wrote:
>>
>> Hey gang.  OK. I took the transmission out of my spitfire yesterday and
>> then thought pretty hard...  I am debating on installing an overdrive
>> transmission.  This car came from the factory with a standard 4.  So, if
>> there is anybody out there that has put an overdrive into a spitfire,
>> please answer these questions:
>>
>> Cost?
>> What needs to be modified?
>> What do you do about the relays?
>>
>> Installation steps from experience would be very useful.  Thanks.
>
>--
>"If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort."
>  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL