How to remove crud in gas tank?

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: How to remove crud in gas tank?
From: "Paul Carreiro, N6EV" <n6ev@badger1.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 01:37:12 -0800
Hi everyone..  this is my first post to the list after lurking for a few
weeks.

I came into posession of a 1974 Spit 1500 (Federal, Non-Calif version)
that had been sitting in storage for 12 years.  Unfortunately, there was a
full tank of untreated gas in the tank.  I have removed the gas, and now
notice a lot of unknown crud in the bottom of the tank.  I'm not sure if it's
rust flakes or sediment from the gas.

Any suggestions on how to refurbish the tank properly?  I'd expect
there is some product out there that would do the trick.  I'm looking to
remove the crud, and properly seal the tank so it doesn't return (and
doesn't fowl the rest of the system).

Also, any suggestions on what to do with 7 gallons of 12 year old leaded
gas?

I'm taking my time and already have quite a few questions... but I'll
stick to one per post.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul Carreiro   -   Southern California  -  mailto:n6ev@badger1.net
1974 Spitfire 1500  -  FM-17459U  -  Mimosa Yellow  -  48K miles
Member: Southern California Triumph Owners Association