Re: How to remove crud in gas tank?

To: "Paul Carreiro, N6EV" <n6ev@badger1.net>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: How to remove crud in gas tank?
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 08:18:04 -0500
At 01:37 AM 11/28/98 -0800, Paul Carreiro, N6EV wrote:
>  I have removed the gas, and now
>notice a lot of unknown crud in the bottom of the tank.  I'm not sure if it's
>rust flakes or sediment from the gas.
>
>Any suggestions on how to refurbish the tank properly?  I'd expect
>there is some product out there that would do the trick.  I'm looking to
>remove the crud, and properly seal the tank so it doesn't return (and
>doesn't fowl the rest of the system).

"Doesn't _fowl_ the rest of the system"?  Is that a Turkey Day pun????  :)

Here's what I did, once the tank and old fuel was removed:   remove the
sending unit.  Put a bunch of glass marbles in there.   Shake like the
Dickens (see we've moved on to Christmas, now) to let the marbles knock off
and loosen any scale and rust.  Flush; repeat. Remove the marbles.

If the sender float is full of gas, you should buy a new one ($7).  I
drained and resealed mine but it only lasted a year.

I didn't use any kind of sealer inside my tank because I had heard horror
stories of the coating coming loose and clogging the fuel system after a
few years.   Others swear by the sealers.   The "big three" Britpart
vendors sell sealing systems if you care to go that way.
YMMV.

Take the opportunity to flush/blow out all the fuel lines.  Replace the
rubber bits. Buy two fuel filters, one for now and another for a month
after you start driving the car again. Be prepared to clean out the carb
bowl(s) at least once.

To prevent the crud from returning, DRIVE THE CAR.  Don't let it sit idle
with an empty fuel tank.

>Also, any suggestions on what to do with 7 gallons of 12 year old leaded
>gas?

Hazardous waste disposal?  I wouldn't use it in an engine.  Yukk.

>I'm taking my time and already have quite a few questions... but I'll
>stick to one per post.

"Talk" to you later then.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA

"It's not the destination that counts, it's the journey."
Drive a Spitfire!