Re: Pubescent Admirations WAS: Rotary Spitfire - and other musings

To: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Pubescent Admirations WAS: Rotary Spitfire - and other musings
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 13:34:16 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Smith <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Date: 28 November 1998 00:22

>What the heck are you guys talking about?  I'm 22, and all that stuff
>makes about as much since as ancient hebrew.

Me 21!
>BTW on today's other subject.  When I checked my mail about an hour ago
>I had 42 new messages since 2am last night!  Sorry I missed the
>firestorm but I was actually crawling around in the floorboards of my
>spit tracing my very real electrical problem.

I was crawling about the floor boards last night too, that's the trouble
with sitting down with some friends and a good supply of cheep red wine, and
not getting  up untill it's time to go!

>Personally when my car is behaving correctly I'd like to mod to the
>point that it doesn't "wheeze" up hills.  Yes I have stock, low
>compression, 1300 cc, 62 hp, ZS carbed engine.  Sure it makes my
>explorer feel like a rocket ship, but there is not another one like
>within driving distance and looks I get makes it all worthwhile.

>Oh, and the only way my car will reach 100mph is if you dropped it out
>of a plane.

Owning a UK 1500 I have a full 71BHP on tap, that may not be much, but the
DPO claims 105 on the speedo!  Given most LBC speedo's read 10% over your
real speed that's about 95.  I would say that a UK 1500 spit has the same go
power as a BMW 318 up untill about 70MPH.  Is that not enough for you!  I
personly love the way you can cruse arround town 22MPH 4th pulling 1000 rpm
all day and you have loads of pulling away power.  Most euro boxes don't
like pulling away at 1800 rpm.  Then they are FWD role about like nobodys
buisiness and as soon as you try to go the wheels spin.

What I would like to see in my Spit is..
1. The bottom end completly balanced.
2. A brand new crank shaft, driven by a belt system.
3. Unleaded conversion with race speck rocker valve sprinds push rods and
tappets.
4. Electric fule pump.
5. Multi point electronic fule injection, and electronic ignition driven off
the crank shaft or cam shaft directly.
6. Somthing to lighten the clutch, and hold the engin in place better!
7. Better exhaust manifold.
8. Wider radiator, with electronic cooling fan only! (I hightly recomend the
electic fan only conversion)
9. Knock sensor to push the ignition advance as much as posible!

With all of the above you will probebly increese the output to about 90 BHP,
but you should make the engin so much smoother to run and have less flat
spots that the go power rocket!  Have you ever noticed how new cars may have
the same paper specs as an old car, but because the run somther and better
throught out the rev range they just go so much better.