Re: rivets, tonneau cleaner, snaps???

To: Toni Thorn <tthorn@comp.uark.edu>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: rivets, tonneau cleaner, snaps???
From: Conn <conn@wctc.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:18:02 -0600

Toni Thorn wrote:

> Three Spitfire quickies:
>
> 1. Where do you buy a hand rivet gun that will *fit* the snaps for
> tonneaus, etc?  (No, the one in the Moss catalog won't, according to the
> person on their 'phone line yesterday!)  Makes you wonder why they have it
> on that page!!!

I replaced the plastic snaps on my  tonneau and hood cover with metal ones
from the fabric store. They were crimped using a pair of small metal tools
(sort of like a die) that came with the snaps, and a hammer. They actually
work better than the original plastic ones.

> 2. My tonneau is oldish and a bit dirty - any suggestions for cleaning?
> I've done the warm, soapy water without very much improvment.

There are a ton of products for cleaning vinyl and leather, some made just for
cars. Some seem to be solvent based. I saw one at Wal-Mart that claimed to
restore color as well as clean. I haven't tried any yet, though.

> 3. My '79 Spitfire has studs and grommets to make the tonneau-to-dash
> attachment.  Has anyone successfully replaced this arrangement with snaps,
> and liked it?

I'm not sure why you would want to. I always thought the studs were one of the
quirky personality traits that made the car unusual, sure to generate
questions from the uninitiated.  What would be the advantage?