Re: rivets, tonneau cleaner, snaps???

To: "Toni Thorn" <tthorn@comp.uark.edu>, "triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: rivets, tonneau cleaner, snaps???
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:06:11 -0600
Toni and list:

I think I have found the secret to pop riveting the metal snaps that does
not involve a "special factory tool" or cash.  You need to get a teeny tiny
tubing - find a bit of solid brass, copper, or otherwise - drill a hole in
its center such that it ca be slipped over  the shank of the rivet before
the rivet is placed in the gun.  Make this bush only as long as it needs to
be, maybe 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.  This effectively gives you a longer snout
on the gun to get inside the crater of a snap.

I'm sure there are other ways, one being our favorite brute force and
ignorance grinder modification method but this one is harmless and it has
worked for me.  Its only drawback is that the little bushing flies away when
the rivet snaps and I'm sure I lost a few.

Dave t