RE: Gas tank cleaning / relining

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Gas tank cleaning / relining
From: "David Sorrel" <dsorrel@intertex.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 21:40:29 -0600
I just used a similar kit on my wife's motorcycle.  It was in three parts.
The first etched the tank.  I left it in for about 24 hours (It was in bad
shape).  The key was for the tank to be completely full while the acid
worked.  So take the time to plug all fittings/openings.  Then rinsed the
tank with water, then poured in a neutralizer.  Final part was a white
liquid that coated the tank by swirling it around.  The stuff was MEK based
so be careful.

The key was a careful job and patience.  If you don't get all of the rust
out the new lining will not stick.  And then you end up worse off than when
you started.

The kit for a motorcycle cost $25, so $50 for a small car tank sounds about
right.  I may need to do mine.

David
73 1500