Re: apology

To: "Ron Roach" <rroach@intouch.bc.ca>, "spitfires" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: apology
From: "Ron and Angie" <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 20:26:17 -0500
>>Nelson!  What in the heck are you apologizing for?  It's a chat list for
>>gosh sakes!  Don't ever feel that throwing in ideas, or brainstorms are a
>>bad thing.  We ain't discussing a nucleur future on earth, just a bunch of
>>metal hulks.  I say,do what heck you want to these cars.  'Cause you know
>>what?  They're just cars.
>>
>>ahhhhh, that's better!
>>
>>ron '78 spit  w/trabant drivetrain
>
>Good, because I was really afraid to ask my next question...
>
>Has anyone ever done a front-wheel-drive Spit?

That's right!  If it feels good do it!  If I wanted to put a 460 Ford in my
Vitesse, would it be any less of a Vitesse?  BTW, I've often wondered to
myself about building an AWD Spitfire!  Just might do it too!  No, no, I
won't use a Mitsubishi or Audi drivetrain, although they are nice, the Audi
would be easier than the Mitsu due to the longitudinal (Audi) vs. transverse
(Mitsu) layouts.  I would go with the Nissan RB26DETT, a twin turbocharged,
DOHC 2.6L I6.  The engine was designed for a longitudinal AWD layout (the
front drive axle goes through the oil pan, like the BMW 325iX).  With 280
advertised Japanese HP (280 is the limit manufacturers decided to use), but
it produces alot more than that.  I figure with the AWD drivetrain and
chassis stiffening, it should weigh no more than 2100 - 2200 lbs (400 more
than my stock 1500).  Maybe I'll get to this after 2000 :-)

But, back to the FWD Spit idea.  I don't think it would work well.  Unless
you modified the front frame rails.  Not impossible, but difficult.  If you
really wanted a FWD Spit bad enough, you'll do it,  but I feel it would be
easier and cheaper to do a 5.0L or even a DOHC 4.6L V8 swap.  How about
using a SHO V6, changing it over to longitudinal, and mount it to a
transmission (a fellow has already done this with a TR7).  I've seen an
electric Spit before, but not a FWD.  My guess, the most easy FWD swap would
be a Subaru flat four.

Ron and Angie - Dalton, Ga
85 Trabant w/Spitfire drivetrain (They killed Trabby!  You b*st*rds!)